Please follow these instructions in order to use my battery analysis script.
Current Widget Instructions
- Charge your phone to 100%. While still charging, complete the following steps.
- Download Current Widget by RmDroider from the Google Play Store.
- Please read the description for Current Widget. As RmDroider says in the description, Current Widget will not work for certain phones (mainly Samsung) because the hardware or drivers for current widget to measure current are not included in the phone. There is no fix for this.
- Add the widget to your home screen. In doing this, a screen to select your widget options will pop up
- Under the General heading, set your update interval. Faster interval equates to more accuracy and also drains battery a bit faster. If you just want to do your test, make this 1 second.
- Under Log Options (which is under the Log heading) , make sure that Log Applications is not checked. If you want to check Force Log In Sleep Mode you may. In theory more data points leads to more accuracy, but I have not done the tests to see if the resulting change in output is appreciable or not. If you want to make two runs and compare the output (obviously this is not a scientific/statistically significant comparison), please be my guest. Post your results below if you wish.
- You should be set to go as far as setting the widget up.
Cycling Your Battery
For current widget to log the appropriate values, you need to have it log a full charge/discharge cycle. If you do not log a full cycle, i.e. you submit your log without having fully discharged your phone, then the reading will not be accurate.
- Once current widget is installed, configured, and logging values you may unplug your phone.
- Use your phone until it is down to a low percent (the lower the better–I would do around 2 or 3. Battery Indicator by Darshan Computing, LLC is great for this). At this point, email your log to yourself or upload it to Dropbox or do whatever you can to get it off of your phone. Not doing a full discharge does cause some small errors; I am trying to code a workaround that allows you to upload something like a full discharge and then charge and then the script sorts out everything but the full discharge.
- Make sure the script is of the format Date Time, current, battery percent.
- Upload your output to the script to be analyzed.
- Comment on this post with your phone model and battery capacity (and battery if you are not using the stock battery). That way people can compare their phone against yours and others. Also, if you do not mind, put your country. I am interested in who is actually using my script (Google Analytics only tells me who hits the page, not who cares enough to go through the test and read the results).
Please understand that my script is not completely accurate. There are inherent errors with trying to measure battery capacity like this, and although I am working toward minimizing them they do exist. Additionally, I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone as a result of installing the apps recommended above. All recommendations are done so because I think the app mentioned does its job well, and for no other reason. By clicking the link below, you agree that I am not responsible for your actions and that you understand this analysis is not exact.